FAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterProfileLog in to check your private messagesLog in

What do you think about 4x100 for downhill?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyb-Ride international Forum Index -> Freeride, Street and Downhill
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: What do you think about 4x100 for downhill? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm using 4x100 frames and wheels for downhill. My frame has 12,8" so is as long as a normal 5x80 frame.

I use 4x100 because this set up is faster on rough roads and it keeps the speed better than 5x80 (I think)

The downhills that I tried doesn't need to brake or to turn hard, usually like a straight line so maybe in downhills with hard turns it's better to use 5x80.

what do you think?
zod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about 4x100 for downhill? Reply with quote

fskportal wrote:

The downhills that I tried doesn't need to brake or to turn hard, usually like a straight line so maybe in downhills with hard turns it's better to use 5x80.

If you only go straight ahead, there is little difference but the fifth contact point makes for better braking and allows to enter faster in he curves because of the improved grip (less sliding)

However you should try downhill courses which force you to brake and turn because they're the most entertaining and spectacular.

(edited 11/9/05)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i think the same than you Very Happy, I want to read more opinions cause maybe there is someone that skates different Very Happy

in Madrid (Spain) we don't need to brake nor to have grip, with a 4x100 you have enough grip for the downhills that we have (with 4.5% of inclination)

sometimes I go to harder downhills but we have to go outside Madrid to find that and it's not usual.

anyways... I think I will get a 5x80 to try Very Happy
Sév

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's better to skate with five wheels, for the grip.
All the people who does the world cup in downhilll use five wheels frames, but it could be 90mm or 84 mm (or 80).

See you on skates.
Séverine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried 5x84 and also 5x90... but I can't drive it. I feel like skating with a train under my feet.

I have to find the 5x80 frame but... it's difficult in spain Very Happy

Someone told me that with 80mm wheels you have lower gravity center and it's easier to have control, I tried a slalom frame designed for 4x76 so it was lower than my normal Viper 4x80 or Cell 4x84 and the slides were much better so I think it confirms the theory, with lower wheels the control is much better.

thank you all for the answers
ThiasDude
L'auberge Espagnole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare set of 5x80mm frames that I could sell quite cheap if you're interested and if you've thought of coming over to Barcelona soon Wink They're not very pretty as you can see, but Bont is a good brand and they're absolutely brand new (never used!) and in the original box.

And about the feeling... it's just a matter of getting used to it! Very Happy

Matthias
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyb-Ride international Forum Index -> Freeride, Street and Downhill All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: